United Methodist Church Anna
Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.
Search this site.View the site map.
Church Services
Morning Worship 10:00 a.m.
Christian Education 9:00 a.m.
Fellowship Hour 11:15 a.m.
 
Church/Office telephone (618) 833-2234
 

About Us

 
 
 United Methodist Church Anna
 
 
 
 
 
United Methodist Church
111 West Monroe Street
Anna, Il.  62906 

 
 
 
  
Click on each below for more information.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                                                                                     Our Purpose and Beliefs
 
The mission of the United Methodist Church of Anna is to lead people to Christ, to make disciples of them, to pray for them,  and to send them out to spread the Gospel.
 
 
 
History of United Methodist Church Anna
 

 
     The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Anna, as it was known when it was organized in 1857 by Rev. Mr. Willoughby, was chartered with seventeen members. Methodism was brought to Anna just six years after the Southern Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church was organized. 

     For the first year after the church was organized, the congregation worshiped in a small two-room dwelling on Franklin Ave., now called North Main Street. In 1858, a small frame church, 28x32 feet, was erected at 111 West Monroe Street, on land donated by Winstead Davie. Three years later, because of the growing attendance, it became necessary to build a 10 ft. extension to the south side of this structure.
 
 
     The church years 1892-93 brought another change in the facility. The frame building was removed, and the present brick church was erected under many difficulties with many tears and prayers. This brick structure is presently known as the Old Sanctuary.
 
 
     As the Church grew through the years, it realized the need for additional educational facilities. In 1957, under the leadership of Rev. Commodore Groves, the present educational building was erected. The people of the church donated most of the labor. September 14—15, 1957, the church had a two day celebration of its centennial. The honored guest speaker was the current Bishop, Bishop Charles Brashares. The congregation moved into the present sanctuary in April 1968.
 
 
     In 2007, the United Methodist Church in Anna celebrated its sesquicentennial. In preparation of that celebration, AUMC made some major renovations to the sanctuary. The chancel was remodeled, new carpeting and pew covers were added in the sanctuary to coordinate with the colors of the stained glass windows and a multi-media system was installed to attract young families and the young-at-heart.